VLAN Overview - ICND2 04
- Logically groups users.
- Segments broadcast domains.
- Subnet correlation.
- Access control.
- Quality of service.
- Total number of VLANs is 4096.
Trunk ports generally carry all VLAN information or at least multiple VLANs.
VLAN = Broadcast Domain = Subnet
- Have a single collision domain per port.
- Broadcasts are sent to all ports.
- One subnet per LAN.
- Very limited access control.
Flexibility of VLANs
- Segmentation of users without routers.
- Not limited to physical location.
- Tighter control of broadcasts.